- 05/04/15 Health Sciences Assistant Clinical Professor
- 04/07/15 Assistant, Associate or Full Clinical Professor
- 03/25/15 Public Health Scientist with Expertise in Population Science Studies in Cancer
- 02/24/15 Behavioral Public Health Scientist with Expertise in Diabetes Prevention and Control, Weight Management, Obesity Prevention, Physical Activity, or Nutrition
- 02/20/15 Public Health Scientist with focus in Epidemiology
- 03/04/14 Senior Scientist with Research Expertise in Complementary and Alternative/Integrative Medicine
- 02/01/14 Public Health Scientist with Expertise in Disparities and Health Behavior
Public Health News
Tyson Ikeda, MD, was selected as UC San Diego Health System’s Physician of the Year. Each year, the UC San Diego Health System selects a Physician of the Year to recognize physicians for their superb contributions. Dr. Ikeda began his career at UC San Diego as a medical student in 1987. He completed his internship, residency and fellowship in the Department. Dr. Ikeda chose to focus on primary care when he realized that interacting with patients was incredibly rewarding. During his tenure at UC San Diego Health System, he has served in multiple roles including residency director and Division Chief for the Division of Family Medicine. He is considered a clinician of the first order, exemplifying the concepts of duty, honor, service and integrity and is known for his tireless devotion to his patients and his ability to effectively communicate his caring both in words and nonverbal ways.
Maria Rosario (Happy) Araneta, PhD, was appointed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services to a 4 year term to serve on the NIH Advisory Council of the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities. The Advisory Council is developing a transformational health disparities research agenda for the next decade, provides advice regarding the Institute's research and training activities, and conducts the second level of review and recommends approval of grant applications and cooperative agreements.
Kudos to the following Department faculty who were rated among San Diego County’s Top Docs by San Diego Magazine’s Physicians of Exceptional Excellence survey:
Welcome to the Department of Family Medicine and Public Health, where our mission is to improve Public Health through preventive, behavioral, epidemiologic and clinical research, education and clinical care.
Awards & Recognition
08/2015 Tyson Ikeda, MD
Elected to the Board of Governors of UC San Diego Health
07/2015 Michael Criqui, MD, MPH
2015 Eugene Braunwald Academic Mentorship Award
07/2015 Cedric Garland, MD, PhD
Knighthood in the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
07/2015 Maria Rosario Araneta, PhD
Featured article in "The Best of Care" at the Diabetes Care Symposium of the American Diabetes Association
06/2015 Cheryl Anderson, PhD, MPH, MS
Member of the National 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee